Transferable skills in the industrial sector, Finland
2 October 2020, Finland
Tampere University Doctoral School together with the Doctoral School of Industrial Innovation organized a Stakeholder meeting in Tampere on the 2nd of October 2020. The participants in the Stakeholder meeting formed an excellent group to discuss the development of doctoral education in collaboration between the university and stakeholders. The group included responsible representatives from the doctoral programs, the Doctoral School, DSII, both from the SME and big companies and the Tampere Chamber of Commerce and Industry.
Objectives of the meeting
As the starting point for the discussions the workshop raised the following questions.
1) Do PhDs have the skills needed in different work environments, companies, or organizations?
2) How would the collaboration, roles and division of labor ideally work between university and other actors?
3) What are key transferable skills needed?
The meeting also investigated possibilities of companies and other stake-holders stronger involvement in the planning and organizing of doctoral education. This allows sharing of better understanding of doctoral skills and competencies and making extensive use of stake-holders’ research knowledge.
The conclusions of the discussions were summed with focus on
1) the skills especially important for doctoral researchers working in a company context during the doctoral education,
2) how the collaboration between the company and university could best operate to ensure the development of these skills.
- 2,200 doctoral candidates completed career-tracking surveyThe DocEnhance career-tracking survey asked PhD graduates from eight universities … Read more
- DocEnhance present at the EuroDoc Annual ConferenceTransferable skills in doctoral education: Experience from the DocEnhance project … Read more
- Interaction model for educational collaboration between the academic and non-academic sectorAuthors: Virve Kallioniemi-Chambers and Pirjo Nikander from Tampere University Doctoral … Read more
- DocEnhance Stakeholder Evaluation workshopTake part in evaluating the DocEnhance Platform! 13 September, 10:00 … Read more
- Take part in the Career Tracking Survey and help your university improve its PhD programmes!Not all PhD students plan to pursue a career in … Read more